A taste of Asia in the heart of Austria
Tuesday October 17th 2017

No need to evacuate Filipinos from Egypt

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang Sunday found no reason yet to order the immediate evacuation of more than 6,000 Filipinos in Egypt despite the political violence in the country, saying they remain safe in that country.

Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Filipinos living and working in Egypt remain safe based on the reports of Philippine diplomats in the area.

“We have been in contact with our embassy in Egypt. Our embassy officials said our countrymen are still safe there. So far, there is no need to evacuate or even to relocate them,” Valte said over government radio.

“It looks like our countrymen are heeding the warning of the DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) and the post in Egypt not to join the protests,” she added.

Valte assured though that the government is ready to evacuate Filipinos in Egypt to safer areas in case the political turmoil escalates.

At present, she said President Aquino is constantly monitoring the tense situation in Egypt and would ensure the safety of all Filipinos in the area. She said they are relieved that no Filipino was killed or injured during the widespread anti-government protests in Egypt.

She said there was no decision yet from the DFA if the government will temporarily ban Filipinos from traveling to Egypt.

The President had earlier directed concerned authorities to prepare four evacuation centers – three in Cairo and one in Alexandria – for Filipinos in case violence escalates in Egypt.

The protests, which started early last week, have left more than 70 dead. World leaders have called on Egypt’s President Mubarak to fulfill his pledges of reform as protests swept the country.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a
video comment.